I’ve read a few blogs and often find that entries can be long winded, self indulgent and /or written by women who wish they were called Carrie and lived in New York. But there are many benefits to writing a blog; the main and most important one is being able to let those people who care about Martin and I keep up to date with our whereabouts. The second reason is wanting to bottle just a little bit of this once in a life time, 12 month holiday.

So I’ll attempt to refrain from rabbiting on too much and keep it punchy (postcard length) instead.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Sea, Sand, Sculpture & Sandwiches: The day in the life of a volunteer


My current ‘unemployed’ status means I’ve had the luxury of being able to dip in and out of different activities, above and beyond drinking coffee and eating banana bread!

Sculptures on Tamarama beach
I heard about ‘Sculpture by the Sea’, an annual outdoor sculpture exhibition, now in its 14th year, where over 100 sculptures are displayed along a stunning stretch of coast between Bondi to Tamarama over a two week period.  Combining sculpture, sunshine and sea seemed right up my street so I decided to get involved.

I volunteered as an Education workshop assistant, which meant helping school kids make their own sculptures using all sorts of materials, from clay to cardboard, drift wood to drawing pins.

I had a great time overall, despite a few rainy days.

Sculpture by the lovely Linda Bowden
A few highlights:
  • Meeting some amazing artists, including a woman called Linda who is Australia’s answer to Janet Street Porter and was rarely seen without a coffee or a cigarette in her hand
  • An 8 year old called Jemima giving me the sculpture she made, as a thank you for helping her
  • A new blue t-shirt, which will make useful running attire
  • Meeting a lovely lady called Helen from Leeds, who I think I will be meeting up with quite regularly!

No comments:

Post a Comment