I’ve read a few blogs and often find that entries can be long winded, self indulgent and /or written by women who wish they were called Carrie and lived in New York. But there are many benefits to writing a blog; the main and most important one is being able to let those people who care about Martin and I keep up to date with our whereabouts. The second reason is wanting to bottle just a little bit of this once in a life time, 12 month holiday.

So I’ll attempt to refrain from rabbiting on too much and keep it punchy (postcard length) instead.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

SCUBA dooby doo!


I’ve never been a huge fan of water related activities, be it swimming, sailing or sea kayaking.  Further to this, breaststroke (with my head above the water) is my only swimming style.  So, while I loved the concept of seeing tropical fish and beautiful corals, scuba diving in deep waters has never been top of my list of things to do.

Martin on the other hand has been very eager to do the open water diving course for years, and not wanting to miss out on all the diving opportunities we’ll have over the next 8 months, I decided to bite the bullet and do the course too.

By the end of day 1, I had learnt that Scuba diving combines many of the things I hate:
  • Scientific, technical information about gas and pressures
  • Getting very cold and wet
  • Struggling in and out of heavy cumbersome equipment
  • Getting water up my nose and in my eyes
  • Putting my life in danger

By day 2, once I’d recovered from the trauma of having to take the regulator out of my mouth 5 metres below sea level and breathe of my buddy's alternative air supply, I began to relax a little.

By day 3, despite very sore eyes and nearly losing my contact lenses at least twice, I actually started to enjoy diving!  We saw sting rays, Groupers and beautiful corals which was brilliant.

Gordan's Bay: A great dive site, 5 minutes walk from our apartment
So, against all odds, I’m thrilled to have my open water certificate and look forward to future diving opportunities in Malaysia and Borneo!




1 comment: