I’ve read a few blogs and often find that entries can be long winded, self indulgent and /or written by women who wish they were called Carrie and lived in New York. But there are many benefits to writing a blog; the main and most important one is being able to let those people who care about Martin and I keep up to date with our whereabouts. The second reason is wanting to bottle just a little bit of this once in a life time, 12 month holiday.

So I’ll attempt to refrain from rabbiting on too much and keep it punchy (postcard length) instead.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Extreme sports: tea drinking & driving


The next stop on our agenda was Sabah, the Malaysian province of Borneo.  We booked 2 nights in the capital with the cool name (Kota Kinabalu) and decided to use it as a base from which to do a day trip into the mountains.

Introducing ‘Jalah Sport’ (our latest travel companion):

Now this little car should not be underestimated.  To our surprise, this rusting tin can had central locking, electric windows, AC and… Sports interior.

We ventured to Sabah tea plantation and had a fascinating tour of the factory.  

As a true Brit, I am big fan of tea and finishing off with a cuppa sounded just lovely.  To my dismay, it tasted like it had been brewing for about an hour.  I added a dash of the white stuff to weaken it, which turned out to be condensed milk. It made me physically gag.  It was one of the worst cups of tea I’ve ever had!

Sadly, I exited the building with a sour taste in my mouth (though I’d still recommend a visit to the plantation!), only to discover Jalah Sport’s battery was flat as a pancake. Before I knew it, I was hurtling down a steep hill with Martin and the tour guide pushing me in Jalah Sport, trying to jump start the car.  I turned the key several times. Nothing happened.  I finally braked with my heart in my mouth and let Martin take over.  Eventually Jalah spluttered back to life.  I hadn’t put her in gear. 

We journeyed on to hot springs and Mount Kinabulu before thankfully, returning to the capital safe and sound and with a new-found level of respect for our speedy little vehicle.
The beautiful mountain ranges of Borneo

No comments:

Post a Comment