I’ve read a few blogs and often find that entries can be long winded, self indulgent and /or written by women who wish they were called Carrie and lived in New York. But there are many benefits to writing a blog; the main and most important one is being able to let those people who care about Martin and I keep up to date with our whereabouts. The second reason is wanting to bottle just a little bit of this once in a life time, 12 month holiday.

So I’ll attempt to refrain from rabbiting on too much and keep it punchy (postcard length) instead.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Mixing with the locals and other folk

Our move to paradise has been everything I'd hoped.  But there had been one missing piece.

During the first couple of weeks in our new home, the only people I knew (other than Martin of course) was the friendly bank manager at HSBC, 2 jovial women at Specsavers, a girl I met on gumtree when buying some furniture and our elderly neighbour Peter, who lives across the hallway.

I knew I had to work on this dire situation.  Having returned from Cairns, I’ve got the wheels firmly in motion and I must say I’m enjoying the ride.

First, there’s the creative writing group.  Turning up at this made me feel a bit like I was going to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. The prospect of sharing my writing, my thoughts, my feelings with 15 strangers was a daunting one. But they're a lovely bunch – 14 women and Bob, a man in his mid 40s who clearly didn't know whether to be terrified or elated by all the female company.

Then, there’s Zena – who is the girlfriend of a guy Martin works with.  We're lunch / wine buddies.  So yes, I can’t fight it any longer…I am a proper doctor’s WAG these days.

Last night was my first outing with the film club.  Off I trundled to meet 8 more randoms to watch ‘The girl who played with fire’, followed by dinner at Wagamamas.  The main organizer is a slightly eccentric man it has to be said, but eating out with 4 Aussies, a dutch man, a Turkish girl and an Indian woman certainly made for a refreshing change and I’ll be going back for more.

I’ve also enrolled for a stint of volunteer work and have become a regular at the yoga studio down the road.

So, all in all, a very productive week.  Life in Sydney is shaping up well!

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention our trusty lawn bowls friends.... Matt and Hannah!

    ReplyDelete