I’ve read a few blogs and often find that entries can be long winded, self indulgent and /or written by women who wish they were called Carrie and lived in New York. But there are many benefits to writing a blog; the main and most important one is being able to let those people who care about Martin and I keep up to date with our whereabouts. The second reason is wanting to bottle just a little bit of this once in a life time, 12 month holiday.

So I’ll attempt to refrain from rabbiting on too much and keep it punchy (postcard length) instead.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

The city of dreams... well, my dreams anyway!


Hong Kong is a place I’d wanted to visit ever since I’d first seen footage on Blue Peter when I was about 11.  Consequently, I could barely contain my excitement as we exited the airport and sped past a jungle of skyscrapers sparkling in the night sky.

Sadly, as sod’s law would have it, I contracted food poisoning in Singapore which kicked in when we got to Hong Kong and momentarily, I thought my time in the metropolis were doomed.  Thankfully my personal Doctor slipped me some pills, I made a speedy recovery and we spent 3 days whizzing around to city to make up for lost time.

It didn’t take long for me to fall in love with Hong Kong. It is a truly amazing city!  The reasons why:

Shopping:  Hong Kong is bursting at the seams with shopping malls and markets and I shopped until Martin dropped! 

The food: OK, so Donkey meat, chicken feet and edible bird’s nests may not be my cup of tea, but the dim sum was incredible!

The buildings: Super-slick skyscrapers tower over narrow sheets, packed with crumbling buildings and lots of character.  The tacky sky scraper light show, which looks like it’s straight out of an 80s movie, is a must-see!

Happy Valley races: What other major city has a huge racecourse just a metro ride away? Spending our Wednesday evening gambling and drinking copious amounts of beer at the races was a real highlight...despite not winning a single bet between us!

Hong Kong feels amazingly safe and also has some great parks, museums, an efficient transport system and nightlife to rival London… perhaps I should look for a job on the tourism board!

No comments:

Post a Comment