I’ve read a few blogs and often find that entries can be long winded, self indulgent and /or written by women who wish they were called Carrie and lived in New York. But there are many benefits to writing a blog; the main and most important one is being able to let those people who care about Martin and I keep up to date with our whereabouts. The second reason is wanting to bottle just a little bit of this once in a life time, 12 month holiday.

So I’ll attempt to refrain from rabbiting on too much and keep it punchy (postcard length) instead.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Celebrating Christmas the Aussie way...

It was a bit hit and miss as to whether I’d be spending Christmas in Australia, due to Britain’s inability to cope with any weather other than drizzle.  Snow and ice resulted in Heathrow airport being ground to a halt for 3 days and it honestly looked like my 10 day visit to the UK was going to be extended against my will.  Thankfully however, I was booked on to one of the only flights not cancelled or delayed on 22nd December.

As such, I got to celebrate Christmas Aussie-style afterall, which went something like this…

Waking up to bright blue sky and sunshine and going for a leisurely walk along the beach, where every other person wore a santa hat to complement their bikini or board shorts 

A BBQ at Martin’s brothers house.  There was steak for the men, while I opted for 'shrimps on the Barbie' for my xmas lunch!

An afternoon dip in the neighbour’s pool to cool off in the 30 degree heat

 So, it was certainly a different xmas this year… no Queen’s speech, no grandparents knocking back the sherry, no falling asleep on the sofa in front of one of the Back To The Future films having consumed far too much xmas pudding and red wine, but nevertheless, it was a damn fine day.


No comments:

Post a Comment